Day 4, 2012

I am one of those people who doesn’t need an alarm clock. I have overslept maybe twice in my entire life. This body alarm accuracy can be a blessing or a curse, but since I am a glass half-full kind of girl, I say blessing.

So, I popped up at 5:15am hoping I had regained enough strength to take Murphy for our usual 45-minute jaunt. It was early, but today was our trial run for high school and timing was critical.

Mac is going to high school in DC and, though classes didn’t start for another 10 days, today he had to be on the soccer field by 8am about the same time as he is due there during the school year. When I stepped outside it was dark. Not pre-dawn gray with a hint of pink or orange in the sky. It was inky with the moon still visible and high.

Oh crap. That could only mean that the days were getting shorter and summer was becoming a distant memory. I decided to embrace the darkness for the sheer anonymity of it. Very few people walk their dogs this early which saved me the constant canine meet and greet that the later hours bring.

I returned home a little after 6am, began cooking eggs for Mac, poured coffee in a to-go cup and took a long sip. That first taste of coffee in the morning is sheer nirvana and I inevitably close my eyes hoping to speed its effects to my bloodstream.

I walked into Mac’s room at 6:10 to rouse him. It was not as difficult as I imagined with no pleas for more time, or scowls. But without a shower to add to the mix, it is not a true indication of a routine morning. Mac’s showering and dressing rituals are lengthy and complicated with layers of hygiene products and carefully coordinated clothing.

Snacks packed, egg sandwich in foil, coffee in hand we headed out the door. We were right on time at 6:30. We were meeting other boys at the Metro at 6:50 and they were all riding down together.

After dropping Mac, I was almost home when I spied Mac’s running shoes ( a requirement for the soccer work-outs) in the back seat.

Oh crap. I left my phone to charge at home so I didn’t know if he knew what I knew. When I arrived home I checked my phone and he had called but he was already on the metro when he realized so having the phone would not have made a difference. I called him back and lectured him about maturity and organization all the while picturing him holding the phone out three inches from his mouth and making faces at me and not listening at all. In the middle of my calm, but firm lecture there was a click and he was gone. I took the high road and assumed that he had entered a tunnel and didn’t hang up on me. It will be his automatic out for the next four years.

The plan was for Reed, Drew and I to pick Mac up at noon with a stop on the way to fulfill a social studies requirement to visit a Civil War landmark. A colonial park is located in Virginia on the way or we could stop along the C&O Canal on the Maryland side.

After walking a neighbor’s dog, cajoling Reed into changing the clothes he wore the day before and then slept in, we finally headed out the door with time to spare. That was until we hit a wall of traffic on 495.

Oh crap. It was well past rush hour so it was doubly annoying. I turned down the radio to think but that made the kids scream at me rendering me unable to think. Construction? Accident? I decided to bail on the colonial park in Virginia and head for the Maryland side of the parkway as it was closer.

We sailed off the exit and were on our way. Until I hit a wall of traffic just past the last turn off for a parallel route.

Oh crap. We idled and I watched the clock tick away our opportunity for fulfilling any sort of assignment and started to fear we would be late picking up Mac as well.

It was a traffic trifecta on the parkway as we passed a four-car accident just past the group tree trimming before the cones that took away one lane. Reed had put on ear phones and was periodically shouting random questions and, unable to hear my answer, shouting “What?” at the top of his lungs back at me. Because we were stuck in traffic, it was doubly annoying.

Soccer ended early so we were late getting to Gonzaga but I could deflect the blame which is always a bonus with kids. The usual food and drink whining commenced from all three kids the minute Mac got in the car.

I assured them all that no one was going to die of nutritional deprivation on the way home and besides, there was nowhere to stop on the parkway. We compromised by stopping at 7-Eleven closer to home. Mac asked for a piece of pizza to tide him over.

Oh crap. Having just endured the equivalent of an intestinal tsunami courtesy of a Royal Farms food stop, I was hesitant to let anyone buy food. The pizza looked fine–tempting even– so I said yes. He asked for three slices and the clerk suggested we just buy an entire pizza for $5.99 as she assured me it would only take a minute to cook.

Oh Crap. Did I want an entire pizza that was cheap and prepared in a minute? That sounded shady and a lot like something the health inspector would warn against. The kids begged me and I gave in.

One minute later, our hot pizza was presented to us. At home, the kids declared it delicious and ate almost the entire pie.

Not fully convinced, I cleaned up the mess and glanced at the clock. It was almost 2pm and all we had to show for the day was a botched ride to DC, a pizza which may or may not result in botulism, and an unfulfilled school assignment.

But because I am a glass half-full kind of girl I focused on the fact that Mac had made it to school on time, didn’t need his running shoes after all and we had ten whole days before I had to repeat the process again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 385 other followers

Magnificence in the Mundane

Finding humor in kids and chaos is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

Magnificence in the Mundane

Finding humor in kids and chaos is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

%d bloggers like this: